Sunday, January 31, 2016

Reddit and What I Found There

Reddit is a completely new information source for me. Here are a few observations after exploring some film threads:

1. What kinds of things are people talking about?

A lot of people on Reddit are looking to give or receive advice. How can I become a better filmmaker? What are the best French films to watch? Here are the top ten best opening scenes in cinema. Etc., etc. Most posts are either open-ended questions or specific commentaries on film.

Phillips, Kevin. "Reddit, Com, Vote, Comment, Submit, News, Blogs, Info" 10/2015 via pixabay
Public Domain Dedication License
2. What are the two most interesting threads I found?

One of the cool things I noticed about Reddit is that people are taking the time to express opinions and spark conversations about art. I found this thread about Gaspar Noe, an Argentinian director. Although I've never scene any of his films, I found the dispute itself interesting. On one hand, the conversation instigator was unimpressed with Noe and wondering why his films did so well. On the other hand, staunch Noe disciples were (sometimes vehemently) defending Noe's work.

Another interesting debate, although decidedly less heated, was how to make a fake exploding head. Different experts weighed in with their opinions on how to accomplish said task for the camera. Tools needed: rubber masks, fake blood, air compressors, and explosives (among others).

3.  What's my overall impression?

I wasn't that impressed with Reddit overall. Although there were some entertaining feeds, the dialogue seemed a lot less professional. Most individuals seemed set on getting personal advice from anyone and everyone, regardless of their credentials. I guess that's to be expected on a forum, but then again, I've never really liked forums.

No comments:

Post a Comment