Sunday, January 31, 2016

Twitter and What I Found There

Recently I explored the film community on Twitter. Since controversy over the all-white cast of Oscar nominees has been in the news lately, I expected to find Twitter opinions weighing in from all angles. Not so. Here's what I discovered:


1. What are people talking about?

New Films. People are excited about new releases, especially Indie stuff. Often there are links to reviews, video essays, or podcasts that critique or analyze certain aspects of a film. There are also lots of conversations about how to become a better filmmaker: links to interviews with professionals, the latest equipment, competitions for getting your name out there.

Meineresterampe. "Camera, Film Camera, Film, Recording, Watch Tv" 10/2015 via Pixabay
Public Domain Dedication License

2. What caught my attention?

There seems to be an ongoing debate on the value of shooting on digital versus film stock. Since digital isn't able to replicate the exact feel of film, some directors refuse to make the switch. On one profile I came across this article about Roger Deakins, an acclaimed cinematographer who advocates digital shooting. On another twitter profile I found this video interview in which director Christopher Nolan maintains that shooting on film is vital to the art of cinema.

I also really enjoyed a video essay analyzing the postmodern morality of the film In Bruges. Having recently viewed this dark comedy, I enjoyed the thoughtful analysis. While watching it I definitely had a few "aha!" moments.


3. My overall impression:

People in the film industry are talking about the things I would expect. Although I was surprised no one had made much comment on the diversity controversy with the Oscar nominations, it made sense after thinking about it. Those interested in film are interested in film, not the politics surrounding it. Rather than discuss nominations, people are more excited to discuss the films themselves. Are they doing anything new? How's the cinematography? Is there an important message? Symbolism? And then: how can we make films as good as these?

No comments:

Post a Comment